Friday, February 7, 2014

Thank You Greenville Tech!

Today has been my favorite day so far of TLT! (I'm refusing to acknowledge the fact that we had to run. A lot. In the freezing, rainy, cold, dark weather this morning)
Today's training is what was called Hands of Peace! This training was directed by the campus counselors. It was focused a lot on how to communicate effectively with our team. We went over some active listening skills and non verbal's. Thanks to the amazing teachers in the Human Service Department at Greenville Tech, I was well prepared for all of the exercises and activities that we did. I knew how to actively listen, use key word encouragers, non verbal's, open body language, and how to let my partner speak without interrupting or offering advice. It is amazing how much of my schooling from Greenville Tech has melted over into the training I have been getting here. Time management, case management, counseling techniques, cultural diversity, and essentially every skill I learned in my Human Service classes. I am extremely grateful for the teachers I had and for them taking the time to lend their expertise, otherwise, going through this training would be significantly more complicated.
We did several of these activities as well as played a few games! We had to sit and listen to the person across from us talk without saying anything, just use non verbal's and then we switched and had to be the one to talk for two minutes. We got in groups and decided on an object that we wanted to build (hypothetically) then they gave us tinker toys and we had to actually build it, without speaking! We had an opportunity to talk to and get to know some of our fellow team leaders on a deeper level which, I feel, only made our bond that much stronger! It was great to see how much everyone really wanted to be here and was engaged in all of the activities!
At the end we broke up into our Units and came up with a charter in which we, as Units, agreed to live by for the remainder of our service! This was ours:
As you can see, we all signed it and officially committed to upholding it and one another! It was a great moment! And a really great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment